CABLE PUBLIC AFFAIRS CHANNEL (CPAC)
““We really liked the fact that we could work with one vendor to handle all of our storage needs, encompassing production, active-archive and backup data. With our end-to-end DDN solution, we could do it all at a much lower price point than competing solutions.”
Senior Manager of Technical Operations
The Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) is Canada’s nonprofit television service delivered by cable, satellite and wireless distributors to more than 11 million homes in Canada and worldwide via 24/7 online streaming. CPAC’s insight and analysis take viewers beyond the headlines; up to 80 hours of new content is ingested daily and over 30,000 hours of archived content is available on its website.
With a very small team to prepare content for delivery, manage digital assets, and migrate and preserve long-form content for easy retrieval, CPAC was challenged in supporting their intensive workflows. CPAC was using legacy Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) software to migrate data to the organization’s robotic tape library which became incredibly expensive, labor intensive and could not meet the desired ‘five-nines’ uptime they expected from their systems.
Read their success story to learn how CPAC leverages high-performance DDN® Storage with WOS® Object Storage technology to deliver:
- A unified solution that encompasses high-capacity file-based system for production storage and object storage for active-archive, IT backup and disaster recovery
- Seamless integration with variety of apps and media workflows ensures highest data availability at lowest administrative overhead
- Data-intensive workflows required high-performance, massively scalable storage for production and active archive requirements
- Maintaining legacy tape-based archive and HSM application was labor-intensive and costly
- Administrative burden to retrieve data from archive quickly to meet evolving production needs was high
- Growing demand for a robust DR solution to safeguard all content while ensuring reliable IT backups of all media
End-to-end storage architecture featuring DDN’s SFA12K storage and WOS object storage platform.
- Simplification and ease of manageability of their storage infrastructure
- Improved data ingest, editing, rendering, protection and disaster recovery
- Performance-optimized storage can accommodate evolving technology and business needs
- Storage and administrative cost savings of active-archive and DR means the solution pays for itself in just over a year
- Object storage designed to efficiently store, protect and distribute massive volumes of data
- High performance storage to address bandwidth-intensive workflows
- Instantaneous access to archive produces two-time increase in file retrieval
- Easy access to archive content from anywhere, anytime boosts data availability