Industry: Academic Research
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is one of the leading scientific and technology research, development and implementation organizations in Africa. The CSIR undertakes multidisciplinary research, technological innovation as well as industrial and scientific development. DDN |WOS Object Storage System is part of the South African Very Large Database (SA-VLDB) initiative, an integral part of the national cyber infrastructure along with the Centre for High Performance Computing and the South African National Research Network.
- Create a cost effective, highly reliable storage system to cope with the data explosion of CSIR’s data-driven research initiatives.
- Provide researchers at both Cape Town and Pretoria with access and ability to update scientific data simultaneously across both sites with low latency
- WOS 6000
- Initial Capacity: 2PB
- Access Methods: NFS, iRODS, WOS API
- All researchers, at both sites, have immediate access to the latest versions of scientific data, enabling distributed users to collaborate as part of a powerful team, speeding discovery
- WOS high-density storage nodes reduce power and cooling costs
- The distributed environment is managed as a single entity, lowering IT costs
- Multiple copies of data are replicated between Cape Town and Pretoria for both disaster recovery and low latency access