“The DDN MEDIAScaler® solution is geared to meet the needs of Filmlance’s demanding post production environment, now and in the foreseeable future.”
Henrik Cednert, CTO, Filmlance
Filmlance, one of Sweden’s largest independent production companies, has produced more than 100 high-end television and feature films, many of which have received prestigious awards. While Filmlance is thrilled with their increased viewer base and enhanced revenues, the associated production requirements and workflows have placed a serious strain on their operations and infrastructure.
In a bold move, Filmlance decided to move away from their existing storage solution with StorNext and embrace DDN’s MEDIAScaler High Performance Converged Media Storage Platform. Read Filmlance’s success story to learn how they are managing their end-to-end media workflows with MEDIAScaler’s seamless scalability to accommodate hundreds of petabytes—meeting their requirements today and well into the future.
- Film creation generates huge amounts of files, often running into terabytes.
- Older productions ran about 10TB, but Filmlance’s popular new shows, shot in ultra-high definition, generate about 40TB of source material, placing a huge strain on the company’s existing storage infrastructure.
- The Filmlance IT department had to decide whether to continue with their existing infrastructure powered by Quantum StorNext or to move to a new solution.
A best-in-class, turnkey storage solution for end-to-end media workflows that overcomes scale, performance, and cost hurdles, MEDIAScaler meets even the most stringent post-production demands.
- MEDIAScaler, which completely integrated with Filmlance’s IT infrastructure, allows the company to manage its end-to-end media workflows within a single platform.
- Filmlance has been able to achieve an aggregate performance of 6GB/s for 1PB of usable space with the DDN MEDIAScaler solution.
- The system scales to hundreds of petabytes and 100GB/s, supporting Filmlance’s needs today and well into the future.
- The DDN MEDIAScaler solution eliminated performance bottlenecks by replacing the previous infrastructure with one that delivers 4x the performance.
- Filmlance moved from a legacy Fibre Channel system with dedicated hardware for few specialized clients to a modern 40 gigabit Ethernet system that can be used as a flexible central storage with any client that can mount and work on the system.
- Moving to a highly scalable system does not limit their future needs in terms of growth for performance and capacity; their capacity can double in the same appliance and add limitless appliances while performance can scale-out by adding appliances.
- MEDIAScaler allows Filmlance to have more material online with fewer requirements to offload data on tier-two tape.