Industry: National Laboratories
At the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL), the challenge to provide rapid access to meaningful big data is being met through the Large Data Joint Capability Technology Demonstration (Large Data JCTD) project. The Large Data JCTD is a pioneering storage, computing, and communications network designed to handle massive inflows of image and video data and allow analysts to operate on it in real-time from remote locations as if the information were local to their desktops. The Large Data project is fundamentally about saving lives by exploiting the time value of information. When soldiers are supported by real-time situational analysis, an advantage is gained.
- To obtain rapid access to live information collected from satellite, manned airborne, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) photography, and share it among analysts, planners, and decision makers for use as a decisive advantage.
- Massively large data files and total data sets.
- Option to automatically replicate new data between each Large Data JCTD site.
- Image indexing, processing, and manipulation of multi-spectral data, automatically searching the images for points of relevance, and rapidly visualizing the images for human analysts
- S2A + SFA10K storage systems were purpose built for speed and scalability
- SGI Altix servers and CXFS high performance clustered file system
- Fully integrated DDN-SGI systems with WAN encryption and replication technology supplied by additional vendors
- Soldiers are supported by near real-time situational analysis to provide battlefield intelligence and decision-making advantages.
- The DDN storage solution handles the rapid data ingest rates of today’s sensors, while scaling to allow for future growth in bandwidth and capacity as sensors improve.