Gartner Positions DataDirect Networks as a Challenger in the Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Disk Arrays
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) has been positioned in the Challengers quadrant in Gartner’s 2014 report, ‘Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Disk Arrays’.[i]
- Gartner describes Challengers in the broad general-purpose disk array market as “A vendor [that] participates in the broad general-purpose disk array market and execut[es] well enough to be a serious threat to vendors in the Leaders quadrant. They have strong products, as well as sufficient credible market position and resources to sustain continued growth. Financial viability is not an issue for vendors in the Challengers quadrant, but they lack the size and influence of vendors in the Leaders quadrant.”
- This latest Magic Quadrant report discusses vendors’ ability to address current and potential end-user demands as users focus more on flash technologies, ease-of-use features and a growing need for Big Data analytics to gain competitive advantage in the market.
- For inclusion in the report, Gartner evaluated DDN SFA12K and SFA12KX high performance storage. DDN’s SFA12K family fuses unprecedented IOPS and bandwidth performance with the most efficient capacity management to deliver an industry-leading storage platform for today’s data intensive applications. The SFA12KX product family is purpose-built to simplify and tame data growth, enabling users to architect and scale cloud storage and Big Data environments more intelligently, efficiently and cost effectively.
- DDN believes its position on the Magic Quadrant directly reflects its strong presence in the high performance computing, genomics, manufacturing, entertainment and video surveillance markets, as DDN technology continues to be deployed in the leading supercomputing facilities around the globe, as well as across mission critical and high performance cloud storage and Big Data environments worldwide.
- With over 1000 customers, DDN continues to demonstrate an ability to support high performance for analytics, large scale data centers, and geographically distributed environments, while investing in its vision to develop market leading HPC technology to accelerate, consolidate and optimize Big Data and Cloud initiatives.
- Molly Rector, CMO and SVP of Product Management
- “We believe our position as the furthest and highest along the completeness of vision and ability to execute axes in the Challengers Quadrant of Gartner’s ‘Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Arrays’ reflects DDN’s ability to uniquely meet customer demand for high performance storage solutions for analytics, scale within the data center and across geographies. As more organizations look to DDN’s HPC market leading technology to help accelerate, consolidate and optimize Big Data and Cloud initiatives DDN continues to be aligned with I&O leaders which is reflected in the rapid adoption of DDN technology by global organizations with the largest and most demanding environments.”
About the Magic Quadrant
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is a leader in data center infrastructure for Big Data and Cloud Storage applications. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver results from their information. Our customers include the world’s leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, financial services, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN’s solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world’s most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today’s information powered enterprise. For more information, go to datadirect.wpengine.com or call +1-800-TERABYTE (837-2298).
©2014 All rights reserved. DataDirect Networks, Inc., DDN and Storage Fusion Architecture, are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners
 Gartner Inc., “Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Disk Arrays”, by Stanley Zaffos, Roger W. Cox, Valdis Filks, Nov 20, 2014