DataDirect Networks Achieves 188 Percent Sequential Growth in Key Enterprise Big Data Markets Where HPC Technology Becomes a Must Have
DDN Significantly Broadens Addressable Market in Financial Services, Life Sciences and Energy Exploration, While Reinforcing its HPC Technology Leadership on the Road to Exascale Computing
- Building on its leadership in the high performance computing (HPC) market, DataDirect Networks (DDN) today announced strong momentum and new customer adoption of DDN™ storage solutions among traditional and commercial HPC customers. This traction builds on recent DDN news and its continued investment in HPC with new innovations in cloud storage, cache-centric appliances and massive-scale technologies to support the road to Exascale computing.
- A growing list of worldwide organizations such as Omnicom, Tohoku Medical Megabank Organization-Tohoku University, Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur, Louisiana State University and Hokkaido University continue to invest in DDN’s HPC storage solutions, extending the benefits of accelerated insight and collaboration to millions of users around the globe.
- HPC bookings in 1Q14 outpaced other markets as more commercial organizations with Big Data initiatives turn to DDN storage for its outstanding performance, scalability and efficiency. DDN also continues to deliver on key enterprise requirements including industry-leading density, security, manageability, data protection and data collaboration features. This focus is driving increased revenues and new customer demand for DDN storage among verticals including Financial Services, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Web, Cloud and Telco, Government Labs, Academic Research and Security/Lawful Intercept.
Strong Market Momentum Driven by Customer and Partner Adoption of DDN Storage for HPC and Big Data
- Q1 HPC bookings grew 17 percent year-over-year, driven by significant growth in Financial Services, Life Sciences and Energy Exploration markets. Financial services, alone, grew 188 percent sequentially. Growth in these verticals is due in large part to rapid market adoption of HPC storage across specific commercial segments where customers are faced with the challenges of Big Data performance, capacity, distribution or Cloud collaboration at scale.
- Among Life Sciences organizations (Genomics and BioPharma), in Q1 DDN also saw considerably larger deal sizes where businesses selected DDN as their primary storage for sequencing, data analysis, collaboration and distribution workflows. Often, these customers have higher numbers of instruments, significant data imports from other sources, or extremely high projected growth rates and require the performance and parallelism offered through DDNs SFA®12K or SFA12KX-based GRIDScaler® and/or EXAScaler® with GPFS™ or Lustre® parallel file systems.
- Much of DDN’s strength in Q1 also came from large cross-sell and upsell opportunities across its global customer base, where organizations recognize tangible business benefits of DDN’s single platform approach to its WOS Cloud storage and GRIDScaler and EXAScaler file storage products. The added capability of being able to bridge data into DDN WOS® for automated sharing of data and/or results across geographies also makes DDN solutions ideal for collaboration, retention and publication needs.
- DDN also saw good Q1 momentum due to its established global presence with strong international sales, support, services and partner footprint, and approximately a third of revenues originating outside of the United States. When not sold directly to end users, DDN systems and solutions are delivered through a variety of channel partners including a strategic network of distributors, VARs, resellers, specialized integrators.
Molly Rector, Chief Marketing Officer, DDN:
- “DDN’s continued growth in HPC is due to our ability to solve the performance and capacity needs of the entire data lifecycle. Current customers are rapidly expanding their DDN footprint by introducing a DDN primary storage tier for high IOPS, small file, memory-centric applications. These in-memory technologies from DDN seamlessly integrate with the shared storage environment and ultimately tier off to the cloud if needed. As more HPC organizations rely on DDN for their Big Data analytics, distribution, collaboration and archive needs, we’re helping drive quantifiable benefits to their businesses and bottom lines.”
- More on DDN Object Storage
- More on DDN Big Data Platforms
- More on DDN Infinite Memory Engine Technology
- More on DDN Customers
- Follow DDN via Blog and Twitter
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world’s leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN’s solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world’s most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today’s information powered enterprise. For more information, go to datadirect.wpengine.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN, Storage Fusion Architecture, SFA12K, GRIDScaler, EXAScaler and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.