DataDirect Networks Joins Global Alliance for Genomics and Health
Powering Over One-Third of the World’s Top Sequencing Companies, DDN Will Contribute Expertise in Data Representation, Storage, Analysis and Security of Genomic Data
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) has joined the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health, an alliance working to accelerate world-wide efforts to responsibly share and analyze large amounts of genomic and clinical information with the research and healthcare communities.
- DDN joins more than 200 of the world’s leading research institutions, healthcare providers, information technology and life science companies, and disease and patient advocacy organizations across more than 40 countries as a key member of the Genomic Data and Security working groups.
- Improvements in sequencing technology and methods continue to produce more and larger datasets. Now with multiple reference genomes for each population and age group, storing, interpreting and analyzing this data is becoming increasingly challenging. New standards, policies and technology are required to gain better insight to data and accelerate time to discovery in order to derive the full potential of this data for research and human health.
- Today, DDN’s high-throughput, scalable data storage solutions power more than one-third of the world’s top genomics centers – with clients that include Life Technologies, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) and Weill Cornell Medical College. To contribute to the genomics community and help meet the data-intensive needs of the life sciences industry, DDN has committed to working together with member organizations to bring the vision of the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health to fruition. Accordingly, DDN will contribute its expertise in data ingest, distribution and analysis of big data, to the groups’ work to help create industry-accepted, open specifications to enhance the secure data collaboration and exchange process.
Ingest, Align, Collaborate and Archive All in One Platform to Accelerate Workflows and Simplify the Environment
- DDN offers a comprehensive product portfolio for Big Data Genomics applications, such as the Broad Institute’s BWA and GATK, SAMtools, OpenEye ROCS and more, which accelerate and consolidate data-intensive genomics environments for alignment, search and collaboration.
- With DDN® Storage Fusion Architecture-based® (SFATM) GRIDScalerTM and EXAScalerTM, and WOS® block, file and cloud solutions, DDN offers customers purpose built genomics and life sciences storage platforms that help eliminate storage bottlenecks and accelerate discovery and workflows.
- Uniquely optimized for Genomics and Life Science workloads, DDN solutions scale up and scale out effortlessly across all tiers of storage, delivering industry-leading performance, density, capacity and TCO. As a result, customers have documented massive increases to their big data genomics pipelines, as well as results that are up to 7X faster and much simpler and cost-effective to scale as data sets move from TB to PB in size.
George Vacek, PhD, MBA, DDN Global Director Life Sciences
- “We are delighted to be part of the Alliance and proud to be working together with the other members to help define and develop the infrastructure and technology platforms, as well as the appropriate standards, necessary to enable clinical applications and academic research to thrive. We were encouraged by some of the top genomic centers that we work with to join the alliance in order to share DDN’s expertise around best practices with Big Data and cloud storage infrastructures for large-scale genome databases and life sciences workloads. Leveraging our insight, we look forward to working with members to help accelerate time to discovery, simplify collaboration and eliminate the barriers to research created by current information-silos and inefficiencies of legacy clustered storage systems.”
Peter Goodhand, Acting Executive Director of the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health
- “With the help of DDN, the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health will continue to collaborate on ideas, identify and establish best practices, and enable interoperability. As an Alliance which formed just one year ago, we are excited to continue to add diverse and notable stakeholders like DDN to our effort, which is now over 200 partners strong.”
- More on DDN’s Life Sciences Storage Platforms
- Read the Genomics Solution Brief
- Read the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute Case Study
- Follow DDN via Blog and Twitter
About the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health
The Global Alliance for Genomics and Health is an international, non-profit alliance formed to help accelerate the potential of genomic medicine to advance human health. Bringing together leading, global organisations working in healthcare, research, disease and patient advocacy, life science, and information technology, partners in the Global Alliance are working together to create a common framework of standards and harmonized approaches to enable the responsible, voluntary, and secure sharing of genomic and clinical data. Learn more at: http://genomicsandhealth.org.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world’s leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN’s solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world’s most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today’s information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN, Storage Fusion Architecture, WOS, GRIDScaler and EXAScaler are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.