DDN Ushers In New Era of Hadoop Simplicity for the Enterprise
The First Enterprise Big Data Appliance to Dramatically Simplify Apache Hadoop Deployment, DDN’s hScaler Platform Also Delivers Up to Seven Times Better Analytics Performance
STRATA CONFERENCE (Booth #217), SANTA CLARA, CA — February 26, 2013
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) today unveiled the hScaler™ appliance, a significant breakthrough over existing analytics applications. The industry’s first Apache™ Hadoop® platform for Big Data with integration and flexibility optimized specifically for the enterprise, DDN’s hScaler appliance is engineered to enable IT departments to power Hadoop-based analytics without the pain or learning curve which have typically limited mainstream Hadoop adoption in the market.
- A fully-tuned and factory-configured appliance that includes an integrated ETL engine, the hScaler product offers a seamless plug-and-play experience with a single-pane-of-glass management interface to simplify monitoring of the entire Hadoop infrastructure. In addition, by offloading data management functions to highly available storage, DDN hScaler technology delivers much better performance during a server failure as compared to commodity clusters.
- In contrast to traditional approaches that build Hadoop on server-based clusters, the hScaler appliance uniquely combines the highest throughput shared storage, powered by DDN’s unique Storage Fusion Architecture® (SFA) capabilities, with a robust and high performance server framework. Analytics performance is increased by up to seven times, minimizing infrastructure requirements and greatly driving down TCO.
- By applying DDN’s decade-long technology innovation and expertise in deploying storage for the world’s fastest computers, DDN is resolving key scalability and systems management challenges with the hScaler product, an appliance which is not only IT friendly but also focused on deriving business value at scale.
Precision-Engineered to Dramatically Lower TCO
- DDN’s hScaler appliance takes a unique approach to Hadoop, with a scalable unit design that leverages the award-winning SFA12K™ platform, a 40GB/s InfiniBand storage appliance that crunches Big Data with 1.4M sustained SSD IOPS in real-time.
- With four times the density of conventional systems, the hScaler appliance greatly reduces the hardware, data center rack space and cooling overhead. Additionally, by allowing users to scale capacity and compute independently, the hScaler platform eliminates costly overprovisioning to precisely fit workload and budget requirements.
- A highly flexible and powerful ETL engine with over 200 data connectors streamlines data ingestion, manipulation and integration, thereby eliminating programming requirements for data scientists.
- DDN’s hScaler product comes prepackaged with DDN DirectMon™ software, a powerful, intuitive single-pane-of-glass solution for configuring and monitoring all aspects of hScaler hardware and software. This intuitive cluster management framework simplifies overall administration to further lower overhead and TCO.
- Delivering further peace of mind, the entire hScaler stack is supported around the clock by DDN’s experienced support and services team of Big Data experts.
- The hScaler appliance is scheduled for general availability on March 31, 2013.
- “DDN’s hScaler appliance represents the next step forward in the democratization of Big Data: It takes an advanced analytics solution that was economical for only the richest and most information-driven organizations in the world and puts it well within the grasp of enterprise CIOs. For enterprises seeking to maximize the value of their information, hScaler technology presents an opportunity to do so at a lower cost — in terms of time, money, and resources — than ever before.” — Jean-Luc Chatelain, Executive Vice President of Strategy and Technology, DDN (www.ddn.com/blog)
- “DDN has developed a Hadoop solution that is all about time to value: It simplifies rollout so that enterprises can get up and running more quickly, provides typical DDN performance to accelerate data processing, and reduces the amount of time needed to maintain a Hadoop solution. For enterprises with a deluge of data but a limited IT budget, the DDN hScaler appliance should be on the short list of potential solutions.” — Dave Vellante, Chief Research Officer, Wikibon.org
- “Hadoop, the transformative open source big data project, has enabled organizations to extract value from mountains of data that would have been far more difficult a few years ago. DDN’s hScaler appliance, which is coupled with the Hortonworks Data Platform, is designed to take Hadoop performance and scalability to new heights while minimizing the on-going challenges and costs of complex Hadoop infrastructure management.” —Evan Quinn, Senior Principal Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is a leader in data center infrastructure for Big Data and Cloud Storage applications. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver results from their information. Our customers include the world’s leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, financial services, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN’s solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world’s most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today’s information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call +1-800-TERABYTE (837-2298).
DDN, Storage Fusion Architecture, SFA12K, DirectMon and hScaler are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
DDN STORAGE TV
DDN Chief Marketing Officer Molly Rector gives a MEDIAScaler overview for POST Magazine at NAB 2105
- 2014 DDN Year in Review: A year characterized by growth and profitability
- Virginia Bioinformatics Institute | Accelerated Ebola Outbreak Response Powered by DDN Storage
- DDN Storage Company Overview – Why High Performance, Big Data Users Choose DDN.
- McGill University at DDN’s Best Practices in Genomics Workshop 2014 #BPGW14