Gartner Inc. Rates DataDirect Networks WOS Object Storage Technology as Excellent for Product Viability in Cloud Storage and Content Distribution Applications
DDN WOS Technology Included in Critical Capabilities Report That Recommends Selection of Object Storage as an Alternative to Block and File Storage in Environments Needing Huge Capacity, Scalability, Seamless Distributed Storage, Reduced Management Overhead and Secure Multitenancy
- Gartner Inc.’s recent Critical Capabilities for Object Storage research report* evaluates vendors that offer Object Storage, focusing on the capabilities of such solutions to deliver scalability, ease of access and security. In assessing a vendor’s strategy, and ability to enhance and support a product throughout its expected life cycle, DataDirect Networks (DDN) WOS® object storage technology was rated Excellent in overall product viability.
- Built to overcome the limitations of file systems and WAN connections that are increasingly making storage solutions too complicated and expensive to scale or share geographically, the unique architectural fundamentals of the WOS platform are solving for Enterprises the scale and performance demands of Cloud, Content and large-scale Archive environments.
- WOS technology is a high-performance object storage platform that enables organizations to easily store petabytes of unstructured data with the highest availability at the lowest TCO. Delivering unparalleled scalability and massive performance gains, many of the largest cloud applications across a variety of industries rely on the WOS platform for public and private storage clouds, online collaboration and content distribution, cloud backup and active archives.
DDN Builds on Scale and Performance Expertise
- For each use case, the report evaluates the capabilities of object storage vendors and specifies important selection considerations. For Archiving, Gartner calls out security, resiliency, interoperability and manageability (indexing and metadata management features) as important selection considerations and are highly weighted; for Cloud Storage, resiliency, capacity, performance and security are the most important considerations in the choice of products and are highly weighted; and for Content Distribution, Gartner specifies Performance, resiliency, interoperability and manageability as critical selection considerations and are highly weighted.
- According to the report, DDN is one of three vendors who scored the highest overall use case in Content Distribution and Cloud Storage with a number of organizations using WOS technology to distribute content to users across multiple geographical locations for enhanced collaboration, as well as for building consumer and enterprise public and private clouds, respectively.
- With performance being a significant consideration for a variety of cloud and big data workloads, DDN also builds on its history in high performance computing, with the highest score among vendors in the product performance category.
- As the first Critical Capabilities for Object Storage report, this multidimensional research focuses on the key areas essential to the selection of Object Storage providers, comparing three use cases — archiving, cloud storage and content distribution — against seven critical capabilities. According to Gartner, “Critical capabilities are attributes that differentiate products in a class in terms of their quality and performance.” Given the nascent state of the object storage market, Gartner recommends end users evaluate object storage products in all capability areas.
- The report evaluated ten vendors, including DDN, against the following critical capabilities: capacity, efficiency, interoperability, manageability, performance, resiliency and security.
- According to Molly Rector, Chief Marketing Officer for DDN, “In the past year, there has been a rapid increase in both proof-of-concept deployments and production implementations of object storage solutions. Organizations are re-evaluating storage architectures as they plan to retain and ensure access to tens – even hundreds – of petabytes of data cost effectively, reliably and in multiple geographic locations. Today, the combination of intelligent data management across geographies, wide deployment of 10G/E networks within the data center, and high performance object storage solutions, make the options available for wide scale data use limitless. We’re delighted for Gartner to rate DDN as ‘Excellent’ in the Critical Capabilities for Object Storage report which we believe is a testament to the demand for DDN WOS technology advantages.”
Disclaimer: Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world’s leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN’s solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world’s most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today’s information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN, WOS, Storage Fusion Architecture and Infinite Memory Engine are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Gartner “Critical Capabilities for Object Storage” by Arun Chandrasekaran, Alan Dayley, February 11, 2014
DDN STORAGE TV
DDN User Webinar Series: January 2015
Learn more: http://www.ddn.com/Watch January’s on-demand webinar to learn how DDN Storage creates business value and bottom line results for our customers. In this month’s edition we cover company and product updates and upcoming DDN user events.