IDC MarketScape Names DataDirect Networks a Leader in Object-Based Storage Market
IDC MarketScape Assesses DDN Business Strategy,
Technology Portfolio and Market Uptake
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) has been named a leader in the new IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Object-Based Storage 2013 Vendor Assessment, doc #244081, November 2013.
- The IDC study assessed the vendors in the object storage market and analyzed each vendor’s ability to provide object-based storage platforms. According to IDC, the growth in object-based storage adoption is dramatically outpacing both block and file storage segments in response to the dramatic shift in how data is today consumed and stored. The growth of mobile, social, and cloud data services is driving new levels of scale and economy that require more scalable and more efficient storage approaches. As a result, the market for object-based storage software and appliances is forecasted to grow by 500 percent between 2012 and 2017 and will represent a $20B+ market by 2017i.
- DDN’s position as a leader in the report is a result of the expanding customer base and broad capabilities of the Web Object Scaler (WOS) platform (click here to learn more), a distributed object-based storage technology designed to deliver rapid on-premise cloud storage, scalable object storage infrastructure and accelerated time to insight.
- According to the report, “DDN's Web Object Scaler (WOS) is a private cloud-based storage specifically designed for environments that have globalized generation and consumption of unstructured and semi-structured data. The WOS platform is a clustered node-based architecture designed to eliminate local and geographical single points of failure.”
- Leveraging DDN’s heritage of performance excellence, WOS technology with an eye to the operationalization of object storage where performance SLAs are as important as data availability and durability. Ideal for scale out web companies, the WOS platform delivers best-in-class scalable performance, achieves 10x superior performance efficiency and the lowest object storage latency to always enhance the cloud and data-intense application experience.
Dr. J. Max Wilkinson, Head of Research Data Services for University College London’s Information Services Division:
- “After a thorough assessment, DDN shared our data storage vision and in evaluating DDN, we agreed that the WOS solution had a simple proposition, was high performance and had low administration overhead. DDN is empowering us to deliver performance and cost savings through a dramatically simplified approach. Add in the fact that DDN’s resilient, extensible storage technology provided evidence for seamless expansion from a half-petabyte to 100PBs, and we found exactly the foundation we were looking for.”
Jeff Denworth, vice president of marketing, DDN — (datadirect.wpengine.com/blog):
- “The IDC MarketScape is one of the industry’s most trusted vendor assessment tools, and we’re honored to be recognized as a leader in the new object-based storage report. We believe that our investment into scalability breakthroughs to support the largest cloud and data-intensive computing applications is why end users continue to rely on DDN WOS technology to help them store, access, search and manage their most powerful asset – their data.”
- WOS 3 Press Release
- WOS 3 Brochure
- WOS Access Datasheet
- University College London Deploys DDN WOS for
First Phase of 100PB Cloud Infrastructure build out
- Follow DDN via Blog and Twitter
About IDC MarketScape:
IDC MarketScape vendor analysis model is designed to provide an overview of the competitive fitness of IT, telecommunications, or industry-specific suppliers in a given market. The research methodology utilizes a rigorous scoring methodology based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria that results in a single graphical illustration of each vendor’s position within a given market. IDC MarketScape provides a clear framework in which the product and service offerings, capabilities and strategies, and current and future market success factors of IT, telecommunications, or industry-specific vendors can be meaningfully compared. The framework also provides technology buyers with a transparent foundation to allow companies to independently compare the strengths and weaknesses of current and prospective vendors.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to datadirect.wpengine.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2013 All rights reserved. DDN and Storage Fusion Architecture are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.